Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer CAL - Crochet Scalloped Top

With the official start of summer of Friday I thought we should kick it off right with a fun summer Crochet Along. Crochet Tops are all the rage this season and I've been wanting to make one. I got a newsletter from the Caron Website with a pattern I knew I had to try. It's free so anyone can grab it up!

So I thought I might not be motivated to get it done. I've only made one garment top once for myself and it turned out okay but this might be a little different. So I thought it would be fun to have you crochet it with me. We can learn and help each other along the way! 

This CAL will be a little laid back. There are sizes for just about everyone and honestly I think it would be easy to adjust for larger sizes by going up a hook size or too.

Week 1- Jun 18th - Jun 24th  

Get together your supplies-
1. Print or download the pattern and read through it.
2. Measure and decide which size to make. (see my notes below)
3. Pick out your yarn and make a gauge swatch!!
4. Last but not least work the starter row and at least Row 1


Notes I made when working through Week 1

Selecting yarn :
Simply soft runs more like a light worsted so be sure that the yarn and hook you use match the gauge. This is particularly important went making a garment, because we want it to fit right. Don't feel stuck to one color. Maybe do stripes or come up with some fun color combos.

Measuring for size: 


I'm going to be honest here. I'm a plus size gal. I generally where a 1X or 2X depends on the brand. My bust is about a 45 so when I saw the sizes of the pullover were 40 (small) - 72 (2x) I though man that is going to be really big….. So I'm bravely just going to make the 1X for fear 2x will be huge….but with these measurements I think I could make the Large and be okay. 

Thank you Nichole for pointing out-a note about the bust....I barely caught this at the end of the measurements given.  You will add 6-10" to your normal bust size for the "ease"...the 6-10" extra makes sure the garment is loose-fitting.

This is my first real crochet garment so lets learn together :) Hopefully these will fit LOL! Of course I think we do want it wide enough on the bottom to fit my hips so that might have something to do with the size since I don't think it increases on the bottom. I may even figure out hope to put a band on the bottom rows for a better fit. We'll see when I get that far :) 


I decided to just use Simply Soft. It was one sale and I fell in love with a gorgeous Jewel tone color called Pagoda. Here is a image of what you should have at the end of week one. 


We will be sharing our progress and asking questions in our crochet group on facebook. 

It's a closed group but just send a request and you're more than welcome in. 

I hope you'll join us! I'm excited to see everyones progress and good luck! 











0 comments:

Post a Comment

Do tell! Your comments are always exciting and encouraging.